The Syrian air force has dropped millions of leaflets on the Eastern Ghouta district informing civilians about a safe humanitarian corridor prepared for their evacuation under a Russian-proposed humanitarian pause, a report said.
The leaflets contain instructions for the citizens urging them to leave Eastern Ghouta through al-Wafideen Camp, according to the report carried by SANA on Friday.
Takfiri militants are under siege in Eastern Ghouta, along with an estimated 400,000 civilians.
In the past few days, Eastern Ghouta near Damascus has witnessed renewed violence with terrorists mounting repeated mortar attacks on the Syrian capital in the face of an imminent rout. Western powers, however, blame the Syrian government and Russia for the crisis.
The Syrian army is currently in the midst of an operation to drive the terrorists out of Eastern Ghouta, but it is facing a hostile West threatening attacks on Syrian troops which it accuses of targeting civilians.
Western leaders were quick to point the finger at the Syrian government after reports of chlorine release in Eastern Ghouta last week.
For years, foreign-backed militants have appeared to release chemical substances in the areas close to the site of government airstrikes and capture the aftermath on videos.
Recently, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov dismissed as “bogus stories” the recent reports of an alleged chemical attack in the militant-held enclave of Eastern Ghouta.
“There are already bogus stories in the media that yesterday chlorine was used in Eastern Ghouta, citing an anonymous individual living in the United States,” Lavrov said.
Russian Defense Ministry had earlier warned that militant groups in Eastern Ghouta were preparing a false flag attack in a bid to blame the Damascus government for using chemical weapons against civilians.