An al-Qaeda suicide bomber killed at least 33 people in central Yemen on Wednesday when he blew himself up at a cultural center, media report said.
According to the report at least 33 bodies, including women and children, were transferred to two hospitals in the city of Ibb, Reuters reported.
The governor of Ibb province was reported to be among a number of people wounded in the attack, local residents said.
In a text message, the state Saba news agency cited the head of Ibb’s police as saying three people had died and 30 had been wounded.
Residents reported there was a second explosion outside one of the two hospitals, al-Thawra. No details were immediately available or if there were casualties.
Al-Qaeda militants frequently carry out bomb attacks in Yemen and have been locked in deadly battles with Ansarullah fighters.
Al-Qaeda-linked violence against Yemeni security forces has been growing since February 2012, when President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi came to power in a one-man election backed by Saudi Arabia and the United States.
Yemen’s central government has so far failed to confront the terrorist threat. Shia Ansarullah fighters, however, have intervened to fill the vacuum and have driven al-Qaeda militants out of many areas in the country.