At least 50 people have died after a suicide bomber struck a Nigeria mosque as worshippers arrived for morning prayers in one of the deadliest attacks in the region in years, police said.
The attack in northeastern Adamawa state was carried out by a young man carrying explosives, Independent reported.
Suspicion fell on Boko Haram militants, although there was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Police spokesman Othman Abubakar said the young man detonated his explosives while mingling among the worshippers.
Ahmed Musa, chairman of Mubi council, said dozens of people had been injured but the exact number of casualties was not yet known as the wounded had been dispersed among several different hospitals.
Boko Haram militants held territory in Adamawa in 2014 but they were pushed out by Nigeria’s army backed by troops from neighboring countries in early 2015.
Tuesday’s attack bears all the hallmarks of the terrorist group, whose modus operandi has been attacks on mosques and markets to inflict maximum damage.
Boko Haram has also increasingly been using teenagers or young women as bombers, many of whom have been abducted.
Since 2009, Boko Haram has waged an insurgency in northeast Nigeria in its attempt to create a Daesh (also known as ISIL or ISIS) in the region, killing more than 20,000 and forcing around two million people to flee their homes.
Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari’s claimed late last year that the extremist group had been “crushed”.