More than 250 people killed in major bombings in Turkey over just one year

0
312

Since June last year, the major cities of Turkey have faced major bomb attacks by both the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and the outlawed terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).

As the PKK has stepped up its attacks amid wide-scale military operations in the southeast, ISIL has also shelled a number of towns along Turkey’s southeastern border with Syria.

More than 250 people have been killed in this wave of attacks by the two groups in less than one year. The following is a list of the worst bomb attacks since July 20 last year, when ISIL staged its first major attack on civilians in Turkey.

June 28, 2016: At least 41 people were killed in a triple suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk airport. Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım has said all the evidence points to ISIL as the suspect.

June 7, 2016: At least seven police officers and four civilians were killed when a bomb ripped through a police vehicle near the historic center of Istanbul. The outlawed Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK), a group linked to the PKK, claimed the attack.

March 19, 2016: Three Israelis and one Iranian were killed and dozens were injured in a suicide bombing targeting Istanbul’s retail and culture center İstiklal Avenue. Reports said it was an ISIL attack.

March 13, 2016: At least 34 people were killed and dozens wounded in a suicide car bomb attack in the capital city of Ankara. The TAK claimed responsibility for the attack.

Feb. 17, 2016: At least 29 were killed in a car bombing targeting military shuttle buses at a spot close to the General Staff HQ in Ankara. This attack was also claimed by TAK.

Jan. 12, 2016: Eleven German tourists were killed and another 16 people were wounded in a suicide attack by a Syrian bomber in Istanbul’s Sultanahmet district, the ancient tourist heart of the city. Former Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said the bomber belonged to ISIL.

Oct. 10, 2015: In the bloodiest single attack in Turkey’s history, at least 101 people were killed and more than 500 were wounded in twin suicide bombings targeting a peace rally in Ankara. The prime minister said ISIL was the suspect.

July 20, 2015: Thirty-four young activists were killed and about 100 were wounded in a suicide bombing in the southeastern town of Suruç near the border with Syria. Turkish officials again blamed ISIL.

Hurriyetdailynews.com

LEAVE A REPLY