Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi deplored the terrorist attack against German consulate in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan, as a barbaric act.
“The brutal behavior reaffirms the need for a global consensus and collective efforts by all governments and nations as well as the global clear consciousness to wage a ceaseless and frank campaign against such horrendous tragedies,” Qassemi said on Friday night.
The Iranian foreign ministry spokesman strongly condemned the terrorist blast in front of the German mission in the Afghan city which killed and wounded tens of defenseless citizens.
Qassemi sympathized with bereaved families of the victims of the terrorist act, and underlined the historic and sensitive responsibility of global community to confront the spread of terrorism by barbaric terrorist groups.
The Iranian foreign ministry spokesman, meantime, described the attacks against diplomatic missions in Afghanistan as clear sign of connections between terrorist groups and the enemies of Afghan nation, and said, “The terrorist groups and their supporters were seemingly seeking to increase presence of alien forces in Afghanistan.”
Qassemi also reiterated the immunity of diplomatic missions around the world, and recalled that Iran’s chief consular office was the first one to be attacked in Mazar-i Sharif in 1998 by terrorist groups which led to martyrdom of a number of Iranian reporters, diplomats and mission’s staff members.
“Today’s attack underscores the fact that terrorism has no boundaries and recognizes no nations and locations as exceptions,” the Iranian foreign ministry spokesman added.
At least six people were killed and more than a hundred injured in a car bomb attack on the German consulate building in the provincial capital city of Mazar-i-Sharif in the northern province of Balkh late on Thursday.
The German crisis task force discussed the future of Germany’s work in Afghanistan as well as ways to avert similar attacks in the future.
Consulate staff had been moved to the headquarters of the German military on the edge of the city and were already able to continue its work there, the German official said.
The Taliban militant group claimed responsibility for the “revenge attack,” which it said was in response to US airstrikes that left 32 civilians dead in Kunduz province earlier this month.
The Taliban militants were ousted from power following the 2001 US-led invasion of Afghanistan, but they have stepped up activities in recent months.
Afghanistan still witnesses insecurity despite the presence of thousands of foreign troops led by the United States.