Eight more civilians die in Saudi airstrikes on Yemen

0
424

At least eight civilians have been killed and 20 others wounded in fresh Saudi airstrikes on Yemen.

Yemen’s al-Masirah TV network reported on Saturday that Saudi warplanes bombarded the province of Lahij in the southwest of the impoverished Arab country.

The airstrikes also targeted an administrative building in the Harad district of the northwestern Hajjah Province, but no reports of fatalities were immediately available.

Reports said Saudi warplanes launched aerial attacks on the positions of the Houthi Ansarullah fighters in the central province of Ma’rib. The strikes reportedly claimed the lives of over two dozen Ansarullah fighters.

The Saudi aircraft also pounded sites in the northern province of Sa’ada and a district located between the southern provinces of Bayda and Abyan.

Saudi Arabia began its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and to restore power to the fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, an ally of Riyadh.

Meanwhile, an Aden airport source, whose name was not mentioned in an AFP report, said on Saturday that the former prime minister, Khaled Bahah, who had fled to Saudi Arabia earlier this year, arrived in the southern port city of Aden on a Saudi military plane. Several other officials reportedly followed him.

Sources close to Bahah said he would stay in Aden for a few hours and then leave for an undisclosed destination.

According to the United Nations, the conflict in Yemen has killed nearly 4,000 people, half of them civilians, since late March, while 80 percent of the impoverished country’s population needs aid and protection.

LEAVE A REPLY