Above 1,400 Saudis fought in Syria since 2011: Report

0
354

More than 1,400 Saudis have left home to join the multi-national war in Syria to topple the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a new report says.

Saudi Arabia’s newspaper Al Watan put number of Saudi militants in Syria at more than 1,400 in a recent report, mentioning that most of them are teenagers.

The report added that around 20 percent of the Saudi militants who have returned home say they had been deceived into fighting in Syria.

In December 2013, the International Center for the Study of Radicalization (ICSR) released a report which indicated that between 3,300 and 11,000 militants from over 70 countries have been fighting against the Syrian government from late 2011 to December 10, 2013.

“These figures include those who are currently present (in Syria) as well as those who have since returned home, been arrested or killed,” said ICSR, which is a partnership of five universities based at King’s College London.

Eighty percent of the foreign militants are Arabs and Europeans, mostly from France and Britain, ICSR added.

Syria sank into war in March 2011 when pro-reform protests turned into a massive insurgency following the intervention of Western and regional states.

The unrest, which took in terrorist groups from across Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, has transpired as one of the bloodiest conflicts in recent history.

LEAVE A REPLY