Seven more people have been arrested in Iran’s northern province of Alborz in connection with the twin terrorist attacks that martyred 17 people in Tehran on June 7, a judicial official said.
The seven people, arrested in Fardis town, west of Tehran, handled the logistics of the Wednesday terrorist attacks in the capital, Ahmad Fazelian, head of Alborz Province’s justice department, was quoted as saying by Mizan News Agency.
Earlier on Friday evening, Ali Alqasimehr, head of Fars Province’s justice department, said seven people have been captured in the southwestern province.
According to the official, the arrested people are suspected of having links with Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group.
On the same day, the Intelligence Ministry said the security forces have arrested 41 militants affiliated with Daesh across Iran.
Following a series of “complex” intelligence operations and the cooperation shown by families of some terrorists in the provinces of Kermanshah, Kurdistan, West Azarbaijan and Tehran, 41 elements of Daesh Wahhabi group were arrested before being able to make a move, the ministry said in a statement.
In separate comments on Friday, Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alawi said his forces have identified the hideout of the perpetrators of Tehran attacks.
The place, where the terrorists had convened to plan their terrorist acts and the picture of which appeared on social media, was identified and a number of terrorists who were still there were arrested, Alawi said.
On Thursday, the Intelligence Ministry released the pictures and first names of perpetrators of the attacks, identifying the five gunmen as Qayyoum, Abu Jihad, Ramin, Serias, and Fereydoun, without announcing their surnames.
According to the statement, the five attackers were terrorists with criminal backgrounds who were linked to “Wahhabi and Takfiri groups.”
After joining Daesh terrorist group, the five men had left Iran and were engaged in the terrorist group’s operations in Iraq’s Mosul and Syria’s Raqqa, it added. They had returned to Iran in August 2016 for a terrorist operation under the command of Abu Aysheh, a ranking commander of Daesh, with the purpose of carrying out attacks in Iran’s religious cities, the statement said.
They had fled Iran after their cell was disbanded at the time and their ringleader, Abu Aysheh, was killed, it added.
On Wednesday morning, terrorists launched simultaneous attacks on Iran’s parliament building in downtown Tehran and on the mausoleum of the late founder of the Islamic Republic Imam Khomeini.
Daesh terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attacks, which killed 17 people and wounded more than 40.
All five gunmen involved in the attacks were killed by the security forces.